"Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
Cecil B. DeMille

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Which is Better? (Facebook, Myspace, or Google+)

 Myspace

I'm going to start out with the least favorite that has completely changed since it first appeared back then when everyone you knew had it.  Myspace, was once the site to sign up for and to connect with friends or family.  It was the place to customize your page any way you want it finding the best myspace background cover, the place to connect with everyone in the world, and it was one of the biggest social media sites to ever come out before Facebook hit it big.  

I spent my days many times on Myspace when it was a completely different old interface.  It was simple and easy to use at the time.  I was into finding the most creative myspace covers for my main profile page.  I also had to pick my favorite music on there to play as soon as it loads.  Yes, it got annoying to get on someone's page and having your volume up didn't help.  Talk about a heart attack.. Anyway, it was the first time I really truly connect to people from high school and college besides ICQ back in the days.  I used to chat on mIRC, but that was a whole different setting compared to myspace which was mostly consist of writing on their profile wall or sending a private message than basic chat.  Then their chat messenger came out later making it more convenient to instant message.  


Myspace has changed so much over the years with its competition with Facebook.  As Facebook has exceeded beyond Myspace users, everyone began to delete their old profiles as they have moved on to Facebook.  Myspace was later on bought by Justin Timberlake.  The site was then changed for more towards arts and entertainment.  It's all about music on there now and to tell you the truth.. The whole site is horrible to me.  It's a pain in the ass and too much for me with the background and side scrolling to look through profiles.  I don't know if they were trying to be artsy fartsy with it being different, but it didn't impress me.  It had music playing as soon as I got on the site and a music video blown up across the page.

And for those who don't have an awesome internet connection, have fun with all that useless loading with background videos on the interface, music playing as well, and the tons of artists they list that I never heard of really :/... Okay I do know some, but still to the norm they're all "Who???"  I guess myspace works for new artists to get out more to the people, but really I just dislike their site.  I'm glad for one thing, they saved my pictures and music on there.  My blog is gone, but I read up on how they will bring it back.  Better than what Xanga did to their people by erasing everything unless you're a paid customer.. A different story, moving on.

New Interface

Myspace was once a big thing and I'll never know if it'll ever recover from losing its users due to Facebook, but I can honestly say I had good times with that site.  It helped me connect back to people I haven't heard in so long and I'm always thankful for that.

Google+

I can honestly say I do like Google+.  When I first had it, I was really mad that I got a message from someone saying they found all these pictures of me and I had no idea it was all public and couldn't ever be private with profile pictures.  Other than having privacy issues, it's been okay.  It's not as big as Facebook and I hardly find anyone using it.  The one thing I thought was really cool about using Google+ is Google Hangouts.  You can add up to 10 people in video chat conference and show anything off your PC with videos, pictures, drawing, and so on.  With the premium paid plan, you can add 15 into the conference chat.  The site overall is very simple and basic interface.  It had a few changes from the last time I had it before I deleted it. 


Here's an example of Google Hangouts from their YouTube channel:

I've never seen anything like this with other social media sites.  It's really amazing to me and different.  I really haven't used the site enough to really have a ton to say.  The friends I added before, no longer use it, so I strayed from it.  The site does take some getting used to with customizing it.  It took me awhile to find the area to edit your profile and the privacy.


Facebook

Facebook has become the top social media site among billions across the world.  I have always loved Facebook since it first came out.  I joined Facebook back in October 23, 2005.  It was during the time where it was only college students with college email addresses.  I remember how simple it was and the site itself was so bland.  I didn't really think much of it until I found a lot of my classmates through it.  I didn't use it as much in the beginning, but noticed more people joining and the simplicity of it I started to enjoy.  The fact is because I didn't have to sit there and wait for a site to load with all these little widgets, background covers, music, pictures, and etc.  It was just perfect and easy.

Circa 2005:


It was aggravating when they got rid of the old interface after another.  I basically became used to it until Facebook changed it with a cover photo and all.  I really do hate the current interface now.  It's not as organized and compact to me like the old interface.  I just really miss the basics of it and the fact you didn't have everyone basically stalking your posts every time someone made a comment on a picture, or on someone's wall.  One thing I'm glad about Facebook is adding on the chat.  I use the site religiously, plus the mobile app makes it easier on the go.  Everyone I know has Facebook.  I think it would be hard to not use it because it's the way I get together with others in groups with creating events.  It's the way I get a hold of a person without having to call or text.  

Overall, I find Facebook to be the winner out of the others because of its simplicity and its easy way of connecting you to friends and family.  The way I can customize my chat lists of who I want to appear online/offline to, privacy settings easily, and the fact its what most people use nowadays.

0 comments:

Post a Comment